Skip to main content.

Go back to the main FAQ page

All Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a Trip Receipt? What does it look like?

Either a Manifest Form 7533 or an e-Manifest Trip Receipt is currently required by CBP at time of crossing. A 7533 is currently required at all non-ACE ports. Here’s a sample 7533. Here’s a sample e-Manifest Trip Receipt.
Sample e-Manifest Trip Receipt
Greeneye can email or fax you your Form 7533 and/or e-Manifest Trip Receipt when your e-Manifest Trip is confirmed.

Do my Drivers need Passports?

When I add a driver to an e-Manifest Trip, do they need a Passport? The US State Department has the following information on their website regarding the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. While that site says that a Passport may not be necessary until “Summer 2008”, we are seeing rejected Trips if your driver does not have either a FAST ID or a Passport. It may be wise to have your drivers obtain Passports, if at all possible.

Please phone us with any questions.

Comments (1)


If driver does not have passport, they can also use birth certificate to get ACE IDs.

Will my ACE Portal Account Close due to Inactivity?

Yes. After 90 days of not signing into your ACE Portal Account, Customs will disable your login. You can get back into your account by calling the ACE Help Desk at 703-921-6000.

What is an e-Manifest Attempt?

Customs has stated in their Enforcement Plan that in Phase 2, any truck without an e-Manifest attempt will be denied permit to proceed (that means denied entry into the US and turned around). Since Phase 2 begins in less than two weeks for some ports, it’s important to understand what is a valid attempt at an e-Manifest Trip.

“Phase 2: …CBP will deny a permit to proceed into the U.S. to any carrier, required to submit an e-Manifest, which arrives without submitting or attempting an e-Manifest…”

In correspondence with Jim Swanson, Chief Cargo Release Branch of the Office of Field Operations with US Customs, Greeneye has been informed that a Trip Receipt including a Trip Number is sufficient to proof of an attempt.

{Please request a Problem Ticket in any instance where you hear otherwise.}

What documents do my drivers need to cross the border with e-Manifest?

If the driver is crossing at an ACE implemented port:

After successfully transmitting an e-Manifest, carriers or their agents should provide the driver with a e-Manifest Trip Receipt and/or a CBP Form 7533. U.S. Customs says the driver must have one of the two. We recommend actually carrying both to be on the safe side.

e-Manifest Trip Receipt

The Trip Receipt needs to have the following information, typed/written in at least 22 point type (or printed by hand an equivalent size):

  • ACE Electronic Manifest should be written at the top of the receipt.
  • The label Trip Number should be followed by your Standard Carrier Alpha Code (SCAC), plus your trip number, which can be up to 16 alpha/numeric characters.
  • The label Driver Name followed by actual driver on the trip
  • The label Tractor Plate followed by the truck (tractor) license plate number

You can also add the Shipment Control Number/PAPS Number, but do not place any PAPS stickers anywhere on the Trip Receipt. Doing so could cause confusion at the border and possible delay your entry.

Finally, Customs has stated that the e-Manifest Trip Receipt can actually be handwritten. So, in cases where a printed receipt can’t be given to a driver, you can simply provide the required information over the phone and he can create one with just a pen and a piece of paper.

Inward Cargo Manifest (CBP Form 7733)

The U.S. Customs officer may request an Inward Cargo Manifest from the driver, often referred to as a 7533. This paper manifest is maintained as a back-up in the event of problems with e-Manifest submission, system outages, or other instances that may require further inspection.

Greeneye’s Recommendations

If paper invoices and PAPS bar-coded paper manifests are provided to the driver, they should only be give to CBP upon request. We strongly recommend that drivers carry these documents with them, as they can speed up the process of getting through Customs in the event of e-Manifest system problems.

Carriers using Greeneye’s e-Manifest web portal have the ability to print out both a Trip Receipt and an Inward Cargo Manifest (7533) for each trip entered into the system. Please print both and give them to the driver.

If the driver is crossing at a non-ACE implemented port:

After transmitting an e-Manifest, carriers or their agents must still provide the driver with a CBP Form 7533. We also suggest providing the driver with an e-Manifest Trip Receipt to prove that the current Advanced Notice Requirements have been met.

What Should I Use for an e-Manifest Trip Number?

There are a couple of requirements when it comes to picking your Trip Number for an e-Manifest:

  1. It must be unique for at least one year
  2. It must be different from the Shipment Control Number (SCN) or Pre-Arrival Processing System (PAPS) number.

Our recommendations:

  1. If you’ve already got a unique Bill of Lading Number, use that for your Trip Number.
  2. Otherwise, we recommend using the numeric part of the PAPS number with a suffix of “a”. For example, with PAPS number GEYE123456789, the Trip Number would become 123456789a

Comments (1)


Trip numbers can be repeated within 1 year. Each submission to CBP is unique with its trip number and date of arrival. Try sending 2 trips with same number and different date of arrival, they will get accepted.

Is my driver's FAST ID or FAST Card a valid travel document?

Short answer: Yes. Customs has recently stated that they will accept FAST IDs as a valid travel document when filing e-Manifests. The FAST information that Customs has on file includes the travel document information (passport, etc.) that was presented when the driver applied for the Card.

Note: The driver should not arrive at the border with only a FAST card. The driver must also have the “valid travel document” that was presented to Customs when applying for the FAST card.

How long before I get logged out of the e-Manifest Portal?

For security reasons, Greeneye e-Manifest’s Web Portal will log you out after 15 minutes of inactivity.

“Inactivity” means you have not hit “save” or moved to a new page in the application.

What privileges does FAST give me?

  1. Dedicated lanes (where available) for greater speed and efficiency in the clearance of FAST Trans-border shipments
  2. Reduced number of examinations for continued compliance with Customs FAST requirements as well secondary priority processing
  3. A strong and ongoing partnership with the Canadian Partners in Protection (PIP) and Customs (C-TPAT) administrations
  4. Enhanced supply chain security and safety while protecting the economic prosperity of the United States, Mexico, and Canada
  5. For carrier participants, the knowledge that they are transporting shipments for a C-TPAT approved importer, and on the southern border, a C-TPAT manufacturer

How do I apply for FAST?

For northern border applicants, drivers must complete a FAST Commercial Driver Application for the United States and Canada. The application will first be risk assessed by a Canadian consortium of the Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA), Citizenship and Immigration Service for Canada (CIC), and Canada’s Agence de Revenu (ARC). Upon approval from Canada, CBP will conduct a full U.S. based risk assessment.

Applicants identified as low risk will report to an enrollment center where they will be interviewed, have their original identification and citizenship documents reviewed, fingerprinted and have a digital photo taken. Low-risk applicants will then be issued a FAST Commercial Driver Card. You can learn more about FAST by visiting the Canadian Border Services Agency’s Free and Secure Trade program page.

When does a trip qualify for the 30-minute FAST privilege?

  1. The carrier is C-TPAT approved
  2. The importer is C-TPAT approved
  3. The driver has a FAST Card

How far in advance does the e-Manifest need to be submitted to Customs?

e-Manifests should be submitted at least 1 hour for regular shipments and at least 30 minutes for FAST-approved shipments.

Do I Need a PAPS sticker when filing an e-Manifest?

Do not place PAPS barcode labels on any forms to be handed to CPB officers in primary booths if you have filed ACE e-Manifest.

If invoices and PAPS bar-coded manifests are provided to the driver, they should remain in the driver’s control and not be given to CBP except upon request. CBP Officers will use these documents in the case of system downtime or validation/examination of shipment.

Comments (2)

Diane Berube:

How do I obtain a PAPS number without purchasing PAPS labels. E-Manifests require PAPS number but not the label. Cannot generate an e-Manifest with out this number.

Hey Diane,

Great question. PAPS *Labels* are no longer required. However like you state, a PAPS/SCN Number is required. Having PAPS Labels created makes it easier to quickly assign a PAPS Number to your shipment, although it is not necessary.

In cases where you do not have PAPS Labels, Greeneye recommends you use a date/time format for your PAPS Number, now called a Shipment Control Number. Here's an example: GEYE103020071301. When using your own number, be sure to *clearly* identify the PAPS/SCN on your paperwork.

Best Wishes,
Harry Orin Wood

What does my driver need to give to the officer at the booth?

If an e-Manifest has been submitted, let the officer know. They will pull up your information via your primary license plate. - You should not provide any documents with PAPS barcodes. If the officer would like to see paperwork, provide a Trip Receipt or, as a last resort, a 7533 Inward Cargo Manifest.

What is the Customs ACE portal like?

The portal is essentially a customized computer screen similar to a Web site home page that connects CBP, the trade community, and other participating government agencies by providing a single, integrated, on-line access point for communications and information. With a one-screen system, filing is easy and data can be stored and reused, requiring less data entry time for truck carriers.

What are my options for submitting e-Manifest?

Here are several of your options:

ACE Secure Data Portal

CBP offers a web-based method for creating and filing e-Manifests. Once a fleet establishes a portal account, it types manifest data into a fill-in form using a standard web browser. While the price is appealing, this option will probably be used by very few since it involves manual data entry for each crossing. Instructions on setting up a carrier account are available by email at or by calling 703-336-4326.

Internal EDI interface

Fleets with in-house EDI capabilities can develop their own e-Manifest interface for ACE or purchase existing record layouts from a provider. The cost and complexity of maintaining EDI will limit this option to fleets with the volume and resources to justify in-house EDI.

Certified Service Provider

Existing EDI third-party providers are obtaining certification to add e-Manifest services to their offerings. While the ACE portal provides basic functions for creating and submitting e-Manifests, third-party solutions offer a wider range of customization and integration options.

Are my seal numbers required for e-Manifest?

They are generally not required. However, they may become mandatory for certain conveyance types or shipments.

What do the driver confirmation options do?

They inform the driver when the e-Manifest has been accepted by CBP so they can anticipate when they can cross the border.

Do I need to file a separate manifest for each broker I am using?

When you send an e-Manifest to CBP, you send just one manifest. The manifest can contain multiple shipment records, each identified by a unique shipment control number (SCN). The broker must reference the shipment control number(s) when filing the entry.

The broker download process lets you identify a broker at the shipment level so that ACE will send a copy of your shipment declaration to the broker. The broker also needs the commercial invoice information in order to file an entry, so you should continue to make sure that the broker receives this information from either yourself or the exporter.

Comments (2)


Am I missing a step when I do my e-manifest? I thought just doing the manifest I was good. I thought that was eliminating the broker out of it. Confused... do I still send the information to the broker, and let them know I've already done the ACE?

The e-Manifest is intended to supplement the Customs entry with information about the movement of physical goods between a shipper and deliver-to party. We have an article that may help you: Understanding the Difference Between e-Manifests and Customs Entries.

If you still have questions after reading that, please give us a call at the number at the top of the page. We'd be happy to help you.



What if I don't know the Customs Broker Filer code?

If you do not have the filer code when faxing, please provide the broker name.

What is the proper way to choose the Port of Lading?

You should use the province where the last shipment was loaded.

Do I have to be C-TPAT to file e-Manifest?

No, you don’t.

What are the different Bill of Lading types?

  1. A Regular Bill of Lading applies to most shipments
  2. Sec 321 are most shipments with values under $200
  3. Line Release are BRASS shipments used by FAST approved drivers only

Does it cost money to file e-Manifest?

The U.S. government does not charge fees to file e-Manifest. However, carriers may choose a certified service providers to file submissions on their behalf, for a fee determined by the service provider.

We recommend considering the time and personnel costs of using the Customs ACE Portal and look at Greeneye e-Manifest as an fast and easy alternative. Also consider that Greeneye gives you the option of filing your e-Manifests via fax and phone.

Do I need both a trip receipt and a 7533 manifest at an ACE Implemented Port?

No, just one of the two is required.

Do I need a 7533 manifest (Inward Cargo Manifest)?

You are required to have a 7533 if you are crossing at a Port of Entry that has not been implemented on ACE.

You are required to have a 7533 or a e-Manifest Trip Receipt if you are crossing at a Port of Entry that has been implemented on ACE.

How do I update/amend an e-Manifest?

An amendment code is required to explain why you are amending the manifest. With Greeneye e-Manifest, that code is transmitted when you make a change to a previously sent e-Manifest. The one hour clock also restarts when you create an amendment. In the ACE Secure Data Portal, the action of editing a manifest that has been sent to CBP automatically activates the amendment process.

How do I determine my primary plate number?

The primary plate is the plate number for your truck (tractor) in the state where the vehicle is registered.

Don't I need an ACE account number?

If you choose to use Greeneye e-Manifest, you will not need a CPB ACE Portal Account. This means you can start submitting e-Manifests now without any delay.

You may want access to the ACE Portal for other reasons. There are features other than e-Manifest on the ACE Portal. So, submit e-Manifests now with Greeneye, and don’t get left out in the cold waiting for your ACE Portal signin.

What if my driver doesn't have any of the travel documents available?

One travel document is required for a driver to be setup and approved in the e-Manifest program. This document can be one of the following:

  1. Birth Certificate
  2. Border Crossing Card
  3. US Visa
  4. Passport
  5. US Permanent Resident
  6. Certificate of Naturalization
  7. Citizenship Card
  8. Reentry Permit
  9. Refugee Permit

If your driver doesn’t have a Birth Certificate Number or Passport Number, your best bet will be to get a Citizenship Number in Canada, or a Travel Document in the US.

Follow this link to get a Canadian Citizenship Card. Note: it will cost you $75.

Follow this link to get a US Travel Document. (PDF) Note: it will cost you $170.

Can I file e-Manifest for a port where ACE isn't implemented?

Yes. However, the e-Manifest will reject and it will not satisfy the requirements of the Advance Notice Requirements since Customs will not be able to view the e-Manifest in their system. You will have to present a 7533 manifest at the time of crossing and ensure that the Customs Brokerage entry is input before you arrive Customs.

Which US/Canada ports have ACE/e-Manifest setup?

Please visit our e-Manifest Port Guide for the answer to this question.

How does e-Manifest work when my truck arrives at the border?

Currently, when a truck approaches the primary booth, the inspector pulls up the e-Manifest information via the primary license plate number of the tractor/vehicle. The inspector then may review the shipments on that e-Manifest as though he or she were working from a paper manifest. In the future, Customs will use transponders carried by vehicles to determine the specific vehicle and pull up the e-Manifest on their screen.

What is the difference between an e-Manifest and a Customs Entry filed by a Customs Broker?

A Manifest provides US Customs information for physical goods moved between a shipper and a deliver to. Generally, an Entry provides US Customs shipment and product level information for financial transactions of goods between a seller and a buyer.

For more details please see our article, Understanding the Difference Between e-Manifests and Customs Entries

Can I file e-Manifest now?

You can submit e-Manifest at any port, but Customs will only be able to view the e-Manifest at ACE implemented ports. ACE implemented ports can be viewed in our Port Guide.

When will e-Manifest be mandated?

Trucks entering the United States through all ports of entry in Washington and Arizona, and through the ports of Pembina, Neche, Walhalla, Maida, Hannah, Sarles, and Hansboro in North Dakota, will be required to transmit the advance information through the ACE Truck Manifest System (e-Manifest) effective January 25, 2007. e-Manifest will become mandatory for all other ports on a rolling implementation - always with a minimum of 90 days notice. See our Port Guide for more details.